Friday, February 08, 2008

What Can We Do About It...?

Surabaya, Feb. 2nd, 2008

The mistakes that we keep on doing...
Today is Saturday, Feb 2nd, 2008. I am in Surabaya for business assignment. I’m supposed to go back to Jakarta today afternoon at 5pm. Unfortunately, I had to change my plan. Jakarta is flooding again! How terrible it is… All flights were delayed or even cancelled due to the weather and flooding in Jakarta, especially at the airport area. Even one of our guest speaker for Surabaya event had to cancel his trip due to the situation.

So, I and my colleagues decided to stay over in Surabaya for another night. As much as I wanted to go home the soonest, there was nothing I could do other that postpone my flight. I just didn’t want to force myself for something that is out of my control.

Finally, I and my colleagues managed to fly on Sunday morning. Although our flight was delayed and we were separated, I was so blessed actually because my flight wasn’t delayed for more than just 1 hour. The other flight was delayed until 2pm. I arrived in Cengkareng at 1200. I took Damri to get home as I heard that taxi fare was ridiculous. It could cost us at least Rp400.000,-!!! It’s amazing how people can actually use the moment to take advantage for themselves. But then again, they have to feed gasoline to their cars, don’t they…?

It was so sad to see that we have to face the same old situation again every year. As far as I can recall, Jakarta has been experiencing flooding every year since the last 10 years. It seems that we just keep doing the same mistake all over again. I think the nation never learns the mistake… we never learn from the mistakes. But whose mistakes are these anyway? Are we fair if we point our finger and say that this is all the government’s mistake…? I don’t think so… For me, it is everybody’s mistake, including myself. It is the mistake of the nation. Everybody is responsible of what is happening in our country these days… Everybody…, including myself…

The questions left for each of us are: what can we do to save our nation? Do we have strong will to really help our nation? Do we have strong desire and passion to make a different for our nation? Where do we start, if we do…? Have we done enough for our country? Have we even done something? Have we really thought about Allah's verses below...? It's time for each of us to think and take our portion to make a different, for ourselves, others and the country.

Sesungguhnya Allah tidak mengubah keadaan suatu kaum sehingga mereka mengubah keadaan yang ada pada diri mereka sendiri…” – QS 13:11

“…Sesungguhnya Allah sekali-kali tidak akan mengubah sesuatu ni’mat yang telah dianugerahkan-Nya kepada suatu kaum, hingga kaum itu mengubah apa yang ada pada diri mereka sendiri…” – QS 8:53

“Sesungguhnya Allah tidak berbuat zalim kepada manusia sedikitpun, akan tetapi manusia itulah yang berbuat zalim kepada diri mereka sendiri.” – QS 10:44

No comments: